31 December 2007

31 December 2007: My weight 

My weight, now 89 kg, has remained fixed in the high eighties (84-90 kg). Since my detox nearly three years ago I have abstained from alcohol, and from snacks. I have also taken to walking longer distances more frequently: five or six miles three of four times each week, as well as shorter distances on most other days. I find it demoralising that, with one exception period, my weight did not continue to fall. Over two and a half weeks in Japan, my weight fell by six kilos. Due to extreme difficulty in locating vegan food, I was close to fasting for several days at a time, mostly eating only a little fruit, grabbing a meal only every couple of days. I went to Japan with high expectations of eating well: noodles, tofu, miso soup, seaweed, and sushi brushed with wasabi. Although my intention had not been to lose weight, my weight fell to 84 kg. However, the ratio of gain to pain was appalling. We were walking for miles through the streets of Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara. The heat was terrific: 38 degrees Celsius most days. By the time we arrived home I was physically run down. It was not a good way to lose weight. To add insult to injury, most of the weight came back quickly.

No comments: