20 November 2019

Illiberalism in eastern Europe is a legacy of 1989

My post below refers to, and is in response to, an article dated 20 November 2019 in Open Democracy by an academic named Tom Junes:
https://tinyurl.com/wmv3dls

The perspective expressed in this article accords with my thoughtful but not-especially-well-informed sense. I have read very little about the specifics of the in-country political manoeuvrings after 1989, although I have read more about the activities of the United States (and Britain) in attempting to shape the post-communist world. I should have welcomed more granular examples, and some academic references in support of the assertions to enable me to follow up on some of the material. I should also have welcomed reference to the post-communist schism in Ukraine, as I suspect that the western part of Ukraine is experiencing a significant tension between liberal democracy on the one hand, and far-right nationalism on the other - the tension that is the focus of this article. I suspect that the European Union may be attempting to support liberal democracy, whereas the United States may be more in support of right-wing nationalism.

No comments: