08 October 2007

On making fun of disability

At the end of the daily electronic newsletter of the BBC's flagship current affairs programme, Newsnight, some weeks ago, was printed a 'joke' about Van Gogh having severed his ear. I found the 'joke' to be in very poor taste, for the reasons set out below, and wrote the following in the Newsnight weblog feedback.

I found the Van Gogh 'joke' offensive: it colludes with people who laugh at my uncle as "foot-loose" because his foot was amputated as a result of advanced diabetes; with the people who laugh at injured war veterans being "legless" or "'armless "; with people who mock the spasms associated with cerebral palsy; with people who laugh at the disturbing effects of mental health problems. Making these circumstances into 'jokes' might relieve tension in those not directly impacted by disability, but it also brazenly stigmatises. There is so much in life at which to laugh without any need to descend to stigmatising.



I recently read a report on a BBC news webpage 'Humour comes from testosterone' about some research recently carried out that concluded that much humour is sublimated aggression.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Peter. I get what your'e saying.I could do with some advice, though i'm certainly not in a position to "pay" for this. I'm hoping, you will sense, i'm a genuine, caring, person..who's a bit directionless right now.
I was married for 25 years. My husband, a caring, compassionate human, just walked out 19 months ago without an explanation. I'm struggling to find a reason.(not that i'm perfect)
Also, more importantly. My mother passed away on august 21st. She was my guiding light.She was German...so i consequently got labelled "the german kid"
Two of my neices have children with mixed race partners.
This has caused numerous problems within the wider family unit. Simply because the children have a different skin colour?
I know how to embrace them. But, they are living in the south east of u.k & an enormous amount of disrespect is shown to my neices, & their children.
I don't understand why?.
Surely, we are all human beings. With inherant qualities, we can contribute to the world we live in.
I'd just love to see our country (to start with) aknowledge this, & maybe even abolish, passports. I'm not an educated person, i was expelled when i was 15 years old for speaking my mind.
For me, it makes sense. I want to live a life harming no one or any living thing. I also wish we could live in harmony across the border lines & within our country.Am i really a dreamer? ..........or am i asking too much?..maybe i'd stand a better chance of winning on the channel 4 programme "deal or no deal" Also, i don't look disabled....but i'm depressed. How often do we, as society just either ignore this or relegate depression to an insignificant illness.