17 August 2022

Wednesday 17 August 2022: E-mail to Southern Water

Wednesday 17 August 2022: E-mail to Southern Water

Dear sirs,

Customer Number: xxxx

I pay Southern Water for waste water removal, whereas I pay Affinity Water for fresh water supply.

In the year from April 2020 until March 2021, a mains water leak lost 988 cubic metres of water, about which I alerted Southern Water.

Thank you for your e-mail of 2 May 2022. I was very happy to read that I would not be charged on the basis of the water that was lost before the leak was repaired. I was also happy to read that my account was to be rebilled based on my ordinary use of water.

Sadly, the calculation sheets referenced in the sentence “I have enclosed the calculation sheets for your reference” were not attached to the e-mail I was sent, otherwise I would have attached them to this e-mail. Lazily, and perhaps unwisely, I simply waited to see the results of the recalculation in my water bills and consequent monthly direct debits. Perhaps, had I followed up the matter immediately, I would not need to be writing now.

I regret that my sense is that I have been paying Southern Water by direct debit too much. Before the water leak, I was paying £9.50 per month, which covered the bills sent to me by Southern Water. Since March 2022 I have been paying £50.00 per month. I am unclear why, but maybe it was explained in the calculation sheets that I did not receive. However, as a result, my account is now £223.45 in credit (considerably in excess of my annual bill charged by Southern Water).

I recently received online correspondence from Southern Water informing me that, from September 2022, my direct debit payments will reduce to £22.11 per month, to remain in force for six months (£132.66). As my fresh water usage, on which your calculations are based, consistently averages about 160 litres per day (58.44 cubic metres per year), I do not understand how the credit in my account is to reduce.

I am unhappy both that my account is now £223.45 in credit (which seems excessive to me), and that the payments Southern Water intends to take over the next six months will do little to reduce this balance. It may be that there is a good explanation for why Southern Water has chosen to build up and maintain such a large credit balance, but I have not been given this information. I should like to understand the basis on which an appropriate credit balance is determined. I should also prefer that Southern Water substantially reduced my credit balance.

I should be most grateful were you to look into the matter, and then let me know by e-mail your findings.

With best wishes,

No comments: