16 August 2022

Tuesday 16 August 2022: Hosepipe ban

Tuesday 16 August 2022: Hosepipe use ban

1. What are your thoughts and understanding of the recent hosepipe ban? 
2. In your view, how necessary is it for water companies to issue a hosepipe ban and why?
3. Affinity Water are not planning to issue this ban but we’re curious to know, how would you feel if this did happen to you?

First, let me say that I have read carefully Affinity Water's drought action plans. I like the fact that there is a detailed plan in place, and that are several stages of action depending on the severity (longevity) of the drought. However, I also sense a deep reluctance to engage the plan, which is responsive rather than anticipatory and pre-emptive. My preference would be for Affinity Water to take pre-emptive action in order to reduce the likelihood of the drought progressing to a more severe stage. If this coming autumn and winter's rains are insufficient to recharge the underlying aquifer, then we shall enter next year's growing season with serious water stress. If next summer proves to be as rainless as this year, then the drought stage will inevitably progress, and more demanding action will be required. I consider it to be very much more preferable to take mild action now.

Towards the end of July 2022, during the exceptionally hot weather, two nearby villages, Challock and Molash, served by South East Water, had no mains water for a full week, due to the drought. Even the stocks of bottled water that were delivered in lieu were exhausted. In my view this situation was wholly unacceptable, and should never have been allowed to get anywhere close to such a calamity. I hope that Affinity Water have greater foresight, common sense and some level of empathy for their customers.

My preference for pre-emptive action certainly applies to a hosepipe use ban (which is an early stage action). Indeed, since we grow a significant proportion of our fruit and vegetables, but have had almost no rain at all for the past four months, and I have therefore had to water the plants daily, I have conscientiously chosen to use watering cans instead of a hose pipe. This also allows me to re-use grey water, thus also 'saving water'. Similarly, I wash the car using a sponge and bucket, not a hose pipe.

No comments: